Pacific Post: Blog 10- Rock & Roll
It’s not just the angels and the dolphins that are turbo-charged in the Pacific. Our boat seems to think she’s on a downhill slalom course and she’s off; dancing, weaving and soaring off the waves like an Olympic skier. I secretly think Skipper has whispered to her that there’s free rum at the other end as an enticement to go faster, but seriously, there’s no slowing this lady down any time soon! My bruises now have bruises as we too weave around the boat like drunken sailors (oh I wish!), being catapulted from one side to the other as the boat skids across wave after wave. Last night, when on watch on the bridge, I heard a dreadful crashing around below. I went to investigate and discovered there had been an impromptu party in the kitchen. Skipper’s bottle of ginger beer had the hots for the left-over Mac ‘n’ Cheese and they’d taken a rather passionate tumble together off the side and onto the flo or. Meanwhile, a not-quite-drunk glass of water, also decided to join in the fun, so it was utter carnage in the kitchen. As I was also dealing with a potential squall, I had to wake Skipper, to help clean it up before it became even more of a dangerous slippery mess. And the antics continue…A while later I encountered a large flying fish, which had arrived, late to the party, slap bang on our doorstep. I’m squeamish at the best of times, so had to put my big girl pants on to deal with evicting this unwanted guest, as it was in the danger zone of being slipped on like a banana skin, especially while in such rolly conditions. And now for some good news…With a lot of help from our friends and a considerable amount of form-filling in, we’ve managed to secure a six-night stopover in Nuku Hiva – our nearest official port-of-call in the Marquesas Islands - to re-fuel, re-provision and effect repairs before being required to head to Tahiti. This is great news as, for some time, there was a large question mark on if we could make a ‘technical’ stop here. Sadly, we aren’t allowed to stay for any longer, but it should be enough for us to catch our breath before an 800-nautical mile sail after Easter to Papetee in Tahiti. At Papetee, we will be required to drop the anchor at one spot and not move again until we leave the country, or until French Polynesia opens up again. It’s our understanding that they’ve approved our form requesting for a six-month stay, until it’s safe to make a passage to New Zealand or Australia to avoid the cyclone season later in the year. It’s early days, so anything could change with the bureaucracy during these unprecedented times. However, getting off the boat together is prohibited; one of us can request to go ashore once a week in Tahiti to get provisions. And while, sadly, exploring the beautiful islands of French Polynesia is on indefinite hold; at least we have a plan and we have options, pending on how long the lockdown lasts for. Yay! And finally…a huge thank you for all your recent comments and support, which Doogle - the land crew - has fed through to us via email. You don’t know how much it means to us to hear from you. Apologies that we can’t respond individually until normal comms are restored, somewhere in French Polynesia! But it’s really good to have your encouragement - and so glad Skipper’s ginger beer slipped down well! Total miles sailed in 48 hours: a roaring 369 Dates: Wednesday 1 April & Thursday 2 April **** Sent from Iridium Mail & Web.